The Department of "Philology and Interpreting"
The Department of "Philology and Interpreting" at Dnepropetrovsk National University of Railway Transport named after Academician V. A. Lazaryan was founded in 2003.
Its opening is connected with the new speciality "Interpreter" (code 6.030507) of Philology (6.305) introduction. In 2004 the University got the licence of the Ministry of Education and Science for providing tuition in this speciality.
The opening of this new philological speciality is an important contribution to further development of arts at technic universities. Moreover, it allows to prepare high quality specialists-translators of technical orientation in different languages, namely, English, German and French. It will also provide the continuously growing economic sphere of the country with qualified translators, on the one hand, and will promote the development of Dnepropetrovsk University of Railway Transport as a national one that embraces both science and the humanities, on the other hand.
The Head of the Department is Cand.Phil.Sc, Associate Professor, Tatyana Ivanovna Vlasova who has a long term experience both as a head and a scientist in philology.
The reason for this speciality opening is a shortage of qualified interpreters in technical spheres of science and industry.
Admission is carried out exclusively on the contract basis. The entrance exams include tests in English (general knowledge test) and Ukrainian (dictation). Examinations are to be held in July 2006.
The Bachelor of Arts in the speciality "Interpreter" can occupy the positions in technically oriented spheres providing bilingual communication as a translator/interpreter, consultant, PR-manager in administrative, industrial and commercial enterprises and companies.
The specialist will be prepared for work in:
- the department of foreign affairs of Ukrainian Railways enterprises
- organisations of industrial and commercial spheres
- computer network companies
- advertising companies
- travel agencies
- political organizations
- translation bureaus
- lyceums, gymnasiums, colleges and higher educational establishments of the 3rd accreditation level.
The general object of activity is ensuring written and spoken communication and information in different spheres of the national economy, science, technology, education, culture by means of the translation of different texts into Ukrainian and foreign languages.
Under present conditions, interpreting is a means of bilingual and multilingual communication in different spheres of activity from everyday communication to professional and official ones.
The Bachelor of Arts in "Interpreting" is a specialist in communication, who possesses the language, communicative and professional interpreting skills. His/her competence embraces wide range of activities: translation and interpreting, information exchange between foreigners, etc. The Bachelor of Arts executes the translation of diverse information, translation of technical documents, social and political information, fiction, business texts in Ukrainian and foreign languages.
The Bachelor of Arts in this speciality must have professional knowledge and can use it in his/her professional activity. Professional language knowledge is based on comprehensive and profound knowledge of basic theories of linguistics and translation, main processes of language development, understanding of processes, which form language as a system. The level of professional and philological culture must tend to perfection.
The Bachelor of Arts in this speciality must have a corresponding level of philological, ethical and psychological culture that is to have surefooted principles of world outlook and his/her place in the world; form philosophical, economic, political thinking; understand the problems of the market economy, social, national, historical and demographic processes of a society development, gain the rules and peculiarities of mankind culture development; take part in the social life. A philologist-translator must have reliable language and interpreting competence, constantly enrich his/her knowledge, broaden his/her outlook, apply his/her knowledge in practice.
The Bachelor of Arts must know:
- main world theories and concepts in the field of philological, social and economic sciences;
- ethic and legal norms, which regulate people's relations, individual attitude towards environment;
- present-day scientific methods of philological research;
- the language origin and development; main language and speech units;
- functional and regional language properties;
- main categories and kinds of translation;
- peculiarities of interpreting activity;
- peculiarities of business language and official style;
- peculiarities of speech formation and skills in a foreign language;
- psychological characteristics of the first foreign language activities: listening, speaking, reading and writing at the different stages of study.
The Bachelor of Arts must understand:
- the language meaning as a social phenomenon, its ties with thinking, culture and the nation social development;
- fundamental ties of the language and the world.
The Bachelor of Arts must be able to:
- analyse present-day problems of a society development;
- understand the economic processes in a society, estimate the level of macro- and microeconomy development;
- use the achievements of the national and world culture in the realization of his/her professional and life tasks;
- use the principles of historical approach while interpreting different events both in the past and present social life.
Using the knowledge obtained from fundamental and professionally oriented subjects, the Bachelor of Arts must:
- possess developed culture of thinking, be able to express his/her thoughts clearly and logically both in spoken and in written form; possess the skills of scientific organization of labour, know the possibilities and methods of computer equipment use in his/her professional activity;
- be able to gain new knowledge individually, critically estimate obtained experience regarding the latest achievements of philological science and social practice; understand the main problems of his/her subject, which single out the definite branch of his/her activity;
- master four types of the language activity on the basis of sufficient knowledge of phonetics, grammar, lexicology, orthography, punctuation and foreign country studies;
- translate texts of different genres, write synopses and pr?cis in Ukrainian and foreign languages;
- use interlingua equivalents (clich?);
- use reference books, different dictionaries, electronic databases for translation;
- have a creative approach to the process of interpreting in different situations.
The educational level of Bachelor of Arts in this speciality is a basic one and is supposed to be continued in the Master of Arts course.
Forms of Teaching - The department executes students' teaching in a day time form for 8 semesters. The main forms of teaching at the department according to Clause 5 "Rules about teaching process organization at higher educational establishments" affirmed by the Order of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine ¹161 from April 2d, 1993 are: lectures, practical classes, consultations.
Diploma work - Bachelor of Arts thesis.